Friday, June 24, 2011

Progress

Have been working on the roof all week. We were making great headway until my helper layed out the rafters wrong and 28 of them were nailed up wrong. This drives me insane, I know we all make mistakes, but what makes good carpenters is constantly checking yourself and the accurarcy of measurements. I did'nt discover this until the last board was being put-in, and I thought that the house was a little off. Going back and checking, we found that after the sixth rafter all measurements were 2" off.  This put me in a bad mood, I had just commented on what a good day we had. Now the rafters have to all be cut out and reset, this kills time, material, and attitude. I dont do mistakes well, and I hate the attitude of almost all carpenters. "Oh well, everyone makes mistakes". They sure do, and they surely do alot more with such a cavalier response. I would rather not even do the project than accept "ah shucks". Now, this morning we will be hopefully doing the short fix of this mistake, and not the long fix that it could turn into. When I owned the countertop co., we would go months without costly mistakes. It was drilled into my guys head, we are professionals, perform as such. If you want to make good money, make yourself worth good money. They knew that pushing for perfection payed off even if we were not perfect. One mistake leads to others, and before you know it, thats all you do. If you accept mistakes, then thats all you get. To eliminate mistakes is all awareness and focus. I know Richard felt horrible, hopefully this wont happen much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment