Monday, July 9, 2012

Sweet Relief

The drought is not over, but we have been blessed with life saving rains the past couple of days.  Maybe a little over an inch altogether, but enough to give the trees a much needed drink in our area. The showers have been sporadic, so not everyone has got as much, or any at all. I am hoping it rains at least 10 days in July and give the forest a break. This whole week is supposed to be real nice, 80s during day, and in the 60s at night, yoohoo. Well, we completed all the hardwood flooring and it's time to sand and finish the whole house. This is a big deal and it means that we can begin work on the remaining carpentry; int. doors, cherry paneling, base boards,  and many other details. It is  also a big deal because it looks so awesome, I mean wow, I can't wait to see it with the clear coat. I also began work on the front porch today by digging down to the footings and installing the french drain. This is hard work, but at least it was a wonderful cool day to do it. This project will occupy me for awhile, I have to build some concrete retaining walls after completing the french drain, and then pour a concrete slab, which I will either stamp and stain, or lay a flagstone patio on top. After that I will be able to backfill  and grade to the foundation, and then I can finish the exterior rock work. The septic guy and the plumber need to get busy, I'm getting frustrated. I want to be as far along as possible when we go on vacation in early August, that way I  can finish by mid September. If I can finish this front porch quickly, it will really put me ahead of the game, so that's what I'm concentrating on. Keep on praying for rain! Later RJ

No comments:

Post a Comment