Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Eagles in the Gorge

How cool is seeing a Bald Eagle fly within 20' of your deck, not once, but twice. Just an awesome nat-geo moment that sends me stammering and racing outside to get a better look. I think that the Eagle is roosting in the gorge somewhere, because he comes from the same spot and flies the same pattern to get into the open and glide through the canyon. They are huge when seen up close, their heads and tails bookend these birds beautifully and their beaks and talons demonstrate that they are very powerful. I have now had 6 very close visual encounters with eagles this winter, wish I could get a picture. The winter is so awesome around here, great hiking, you can see through the woods, the creek runs consistently and you can hear it so well on crisp winter nights, and every night is good for a fire if the wind is not bad. Had about 4" of snow last night and woke up to a beautiful scene of perfect snow piled on trees, but things are melting quickly and it will all be gone today. Although I love winter, I am looking forward to spring because every season up here is special. Shoot, I have even come to love summer since moving up here, nothing better than swimming in the river.                                                        As far as the house goes, still working on details inside, waiting for the weather to improve. I am just about completely done with every single thing inside, the major exception being the sink in the island and the cable lighting in the awesome room. The tile guy comes in 2 weeks to complete the kitchen backsplash and the fireplace hearth. Outside there are 3 main projects left; #1french drain,#2 front porch,#3hot tub deck. After that the house is complete, COMPLETE!COMPLETE!      I have had several visitors in the past week and I am very proud of what they had to say about the place, this will always be one of my biggest accomplishments and I plan to enjoy it for another 40 years. I am getting my camera back soon, so I will post a ton of pictures and catch up on all the details that have been completed. Later, The Hollowhead

1 comment:

  1. This is Whitney! Reading your post made me think of this poem by Gerard Manly Hopkins. Enjoy. :)

    I CAUGHT this morning morning’s minion, king-
    dom of daylight’s dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
    Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
    High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
    In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
    As a skate’s heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
    Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
    Stirred for a bird,—the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!

    Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
    Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
    Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

    No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion
    Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
    Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion.

    ReplyDelete